On all 2,272 posts the photos are going to go missing.
I just went to my Picasa page and there was the news.
- All my blog photos are hosted by Google’s Picasa, then I embed each into each a post
- Google is shutting down Picasa, and moving everything to Google Photos
- Picasa will no longer be supported, so unsure what will happen with the embed code
Embed code looks like this:
<ahref=”https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dBhKKCvpaV8NZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=embedwebsite”><img src=”https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ie4RbI7KFlo/VsJqRSYRSjI/AAAAAAAAha8/764X0Qsp_Vs/s640-Ic42/IMG_1416.JPG” height=”640″ width=”640″ /></a>
The code means: insert here, this photo, from this album, in these dimensions
When I read the news I sat like this, not moving for a good 12 minutes.
Stomach sunk and not blinking, my mind racing. This is a big problem that can’t be ignored or pushed off.
The $15 million in cars will disappear.
My sidebar is toast.
All the mini-blogs will break:
All that time, care and attention I invested…
1 – the chance embed code will still be supported is small – there can’t be many of us who use it, or it’d have got a mention
2 – the desktop application will be gone too
3 – changes take affect May 16, 2016
- Google Photos will respond kindly to my passionate & polite letter
- sure, a script can be written and things moved from one server to another, if/then statements installed… but with what extra time? By whom? How much will that cost?
- practice un-attachment and let the blog break, then cease to exist
Any ideas leave in the comments please.
Send good luck please!
Blog tag = About Blogging (46)