No big fight happened, there’s no dramatic tale I’m not telling… last Wednesday afternoon I’d been plotting the upcoming Monday, had an overwhelming feeling of “I don’t want to do that routine another week” and that was it.
I wrote for the next 20 hours, now all deadlines are done, called my editor on Friday at 11 am, we had a good laugh and it couldn’t have been a nicer ending. My last column just published, read it here.
Auto for life, to be clear, just not auto at this outlet.
I mark big events in my calendar and set them to repeat annually, so went to document this, opened the app and woah… that’s 3 years to the day.
And a new moon at that. You know I feel strongly about the planets.
What I’m walking away from:
A reasonable amount:
1 – search Google for the paper -theautonet – and there’s me 2nd result. Search with a space, and that’s my column
2 – that’s my reach, 2nd in the country
3 – been a Featured Author for years
Last times to upload to Fatwire, or name 35 car photos – 2016 Nissan Maxima – Exterior 3/4 Rear 2.jpg. Built the last Fact File (won’t miss those for one second.)
Friday night celebration pizza party.
What about the paycheque I just gave up?
I’m great at bootstrapping, so my company’s account is ready for such an eventuatlity, and can carry me for four months while I piece it together.
What will I do going forward?
It’s a rare moment in my very organized life that I have no master plan.
– Daydream, drift around in my imagination
– Drive more cars
– become more specialized in auto security
– Renovate this blog (I know it’s 2009 around here guys I’m sorry)
– my ‘Keri on Driving’ column continues; find it a great new home.
– Get fit. PRIORITY. Too old now to get away with not. There’s a provincial-level gymnast in here somewhere, just have to find her
– Learn to cook. Okay more realism > learn to feed myself not powerbars for dinner
– Okay fiiine, I’ll make a proper LinkedIn, clean up my social media accounts, and make an About page
– do more sewing, make a quilt for my main room
– learn Metasploit. I don’t want to hack the planet, just try some social experiments I dreamed up, like leave USB keys around downtown, that when inserted, phone home to me – message pops up ARE you kidding me, terrible idea, please never no, instead try help protect the company’s network you almost just tanked
As of writing it’s been 4 days, and I’m a bit dazed from the missing routine of the last 3 years. I didn’t write the news yesterday, it was weird. But overall I feel lighter, good sign.
No risk, no reward.